Morton Cemetery Association.
Located in Richmond, Texas on 15+
acres, Morton Cemetery is one of the
most historic cemeteries in the
State of Texas. Established in 1825,
Morton Cemetery is the final resting
place of more than 2800 individuals
and currently has approximately 1100 spaces
available for purchase. Morton
Cemetery is open year-round from 8:00am to 6:00pm and welcomes
visitors to enjoy the cemetery's
history and peaceful setting while
remembering those before us.
Cemetery Association is in the
process of creating a Volunteer
Program which will benefit Morton
Cemetery. If you are interested in
joining the Volunteer Program, which
includes opportunities to
participate in landscaping, guided
tours, a living history program and
more, please contact the Association
office at 281-239-3648 or
401 N. 2nd Street, Richmond, Texas 77469
Year-Round Hours 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
click here for map and driving directions
Your donation makes a difference.
is operated by the Morton Cemetery
Association, a 501(c) (13) non-profit
organization. Donations and bequeaths are
tax deductible and always appreciated.
Please make checks payable to the Morton
Cemetery Association and mail (P.O. Box 300, Richmond, TX 77406 or deliver to our office located at 900 Morton Street, Richmond, Texas 77469. For more information please call 281-239-3648.
Morton Cemeteryís rich history began
in 1825 when Texas was a part of Mexico. A stranger
by the name of Robert Gillespie, originally from
Scotland, passed away from an illness and was buried
on William Mortonís land. Morton was part of a group
of settlerís known as Stephen F. Austinís Old Three
Hundred. In 1835, only ten years after this first
burial, the settlerís brought forth the Texas
Revolution. This revolt ended in 1836 with Texas
becoming an independent country known as The
Republic of Texas. Many of these early Texas
settlers and their families are buried in Morton
Cemetery including: Jane Long, The Mother of Texas;
Mirabeau B. Lamar, the first Vice-President and
second President of the Republic of Texas; Walter
Burton, a freed slave who served on the Texas Senate
for 7 years; and Albert P. and Mamie E. George,
benefactors of Fort Bend County.
Click here to learn
more about the history of Morton Cemetery.